Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

How-To: Flowered Headbands

A few people have been curious about my method for my flowered headbands and earwarmers, so I figured I'd share it here. [Sorry for the picture heavy post- so unlike me!]
basket of flowers
I started out using Motif # 40 (you could also use #41) from Edie Eckman's Beyond the Square: Crochet Motifs. If I haven't sung the praises of this book, I will again. 1. It's spiral bound, which is the best type of book for crafters. 2. It's colorful- who doesn't like looking at pretty pictures? 3. It's inspiring!

So, I start with the flower motif. Since I've been using this pattern for a while, I've altered it a little bit. Basically, it's never the same one twice.

Round 1: 12 sc
round 1

Round 2: 6 ch 5 loops.
round 2
adding round 3
Round 3: 6 petals of 1 sc, 2hdc, 2 dc, 1ch, 2 dc, 2hdc, 1 sc
finished

I always make sure to leave long ends, both at the beginning and the end, so I have something to sew with.
What I love about these is that I can make them in a variety of colors, so I always have choices. Usually I'll whip up a handful while watching TV, and then the next night I'll work up the bands, and the third night I'll sew everything.
finished
As you can see, I also make some two-toned flowers, just to keep things interesting.

The color for the band usually depends on what I'm making. For the earwarmers, I try to go for matching bright colors, while for the headbands I make them darker and more neutral (so the flower pops).
measuring
chain
Depending on your tension, this part will change a bit, so I would have a measuring tape handy. For the headbands, I only tie a knot in the back, so they are a little bit longer than the earwarmers, usually somewhere between 20 and 22 inches. I'll mention now that I hate single crochet, because I don't think it's stretchy enough.
headband
forming stitches

 My headbands are 2 rows of half-double crochet. My earwarmers are five rows of half-double crochet.
2 rows
5 rows
(Top is 2 rows of hdc, bottom is 5 rows)

The one thing different about the earwarmers are the buttons. Because I make them wider, I also make them a bit shorter. They are between 18 and 20 inches.
which button?

Before ending on an earwarmer band, I add down one side 2 sc, 2ch, 2sc for a button hole.
button
adding the button

A while ago, I picked up one of those cute little containers of black buttons from the dollar bin at Michael's, and those are what I usually use for my earwarmers.
However, as you can see above, I am using half-dollar sized buttons. Those came from my aunt, who bought one of those mixed bags from Jo-Ann's for a project- they were too big for her project.

To sew on the flowers, I simply fold the band in half, and position the flower about a third of the way down from the fold.

If you prefer the flower elsewhere, move it wherever you'd like :)
Now you have your own flowered headband or earwarmer, to share with the girls in your life!

(Note: if you have any problems with this, feel free to leave a comment, and I'll try to answer ASAP)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!!! I am definitely making some for my nieces. I will post photos on my blog when they are finished, and let you know.

    ReplyDelete

I love knowing that you stopped by!
~ Mary