Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Unbalanced Crafter 3KCBWDay7

Crafting Balance Are you a knitter or a crocheter, or are you a bit of both?... If you are equally comfortable knitting as you are crocheting, how do you balance both crafts? Do you always have projects of each on the go, or do you go through periods of favouring one over the other? How did you come to learn and love your craft(s)?
I am both a knitter and a crocheter. I mean, check out the title of my blog ^^ up there "Needles, Hooks and Books, Oh My!" I don't mean to be snarky, honestly. If I were to look at my blog based solely on the labels that I put on my posts, I would say I am a crocheter.

So, I am both a balanced crafter and an unbalanced crafter. I learned to crochet when I was in middle school, and didn't honestly know the difference between knitting and crocheting. (*Gasp*, I know.) My godmother sat me down and taught me how to crochet. I think she thinks it is easier. Not really sure how we picked. I vaguely remember having the discussion about the two crafts, but I don't remember why she sat me down with a hook instead of needles.

Several years after my first crocheted Harry Potter scarf, I learned how to knit. (It was in high school, I remember that part.) One of my friends told me I was doing it wrong, probably because I knit like I crochet, I think.

Fast forward to now, and you can see a vast majority of crochet projects, both in progress and completed:

DSCN3545


little star






















And a fair number of knitted projects in progress or completed:
Overall, I'd say that I don't quite have balance in my crafting. For me, crochet will get the job done faster, and with my studies and my work, faster is usually better. I love all the things I have knit, and I know that there are some knitted characteristics that cannot be reproduced in crochet. Anything cabled is definitely knit. But I love how crocheted lace looks, and overall, crochet was my first craft, and makes a lot more sense to me, at least when it comes to developing stitches, etc.

Oh dear, I hope I haven't rambled too much for all of you. If you want to check out more about crafting balance, google 3KCBWDAY7

1 comment:

I love knowing that you stopped by!
~ Mary