Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Holiday Stashdown Challenge: Week 10

It's a week for checking in and updating how the Challenge is going!

Accomplishments- I know what I want to make for everyone-YAY!- I've finished a few projects, but nothing really for Christmas, more for the stashdown bit.
~I've found another pattern that I really want to try- over the weekend, I saw many of my relatives (on my mom's side) because my one aunt had a party, and my godmother had 2 books for me!! She found Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Knitting and Encyclopedia of Crochet super cheap at a garage sale, and thought I would like them! One of my other aunts wanted to take a look, and found these socks that she thought were cute, so I'm planning to making 2 pair- one for her, and one for my godmother. (My godmother has mentioned mulitple times that she has cold feet more often than cold hands, so the fingerless gloves I was planning on making would not be appreciated as much)
~ Looking back at my stash list from Week 2, I can see that while I've gotten some of my stash reduced, I've also increased it in different places. My cotton stash has been decreased by a few skeins, but gained another cone. All but one skein of my KnitPicks Telemark has been used up, but I just purchased 4 skeins of Felici, 3 skeins of Shadow, and several skeins of Bare Sock. And I bought A LOT more Vanna's Choice yarn. (I also think I was lying a bit when it came to my stash- I have tons of recycled sweater yarn...)
My emptying drawer of cotton yarn!

Obstacles- LIFE- I know that seems a bit cliche, but life really has been getting in my way. My "out of the ordinary" post from last week will give you a bit of an idea, if you are curious. (Thank you to those who responded with kind and helpful words, we're still working it all out)

Starts- Mom's afghan (though I don't know if I want to put the time into something for someone that I am currently at odds with). T's scarf- I have the pattern picked out and everything, just need to wind up the yarn and print out the pattern.

Finishes- Country Blues afghan from the BAMCAL- I blogged about it several times last week, and posted the finish on Friday! I was super thrilled to be done, and after deliberation (and a variety of comments from all you lovely people) I've decided to keep it! I love blankets, and I had originally planned for this one to be mine, so I figured I might as well keep it. (and everyone in my family thought my color choices were weird)
And over 2 weeks ago (omg, I cannot believe its been that already) one of my closest friends got married, and I gifted to the happy couple a ripple afghan in their school colors. So another checked box :)
The remainder of the yarn from my Country Blues afghan and the MSU ripple

This Stashdown challenge has been helpful for me, in that I am constantly thinking about where to go next. I am a list maker, and constantly update what I think needs to get done every day/week/month. The past few weeks I have been switching between the need to prepare for the fall craft shows and my desire to get Christmas gifts done.

But I think, since the fall craft shows are first, I can definitely dedicate a bit more time to those projects. Which means turning out a bunch of scarves and hats in as short a time as possible. I'm still trying to break out of my craft show box and create more original pieces to sell, but I've found that people won't buy a one-of-a-kind item. So every time I make something, I try to make a similar item in a totally different color. Even so, I cannot guarantee that everything I make will sell, which is super disappointing because I put a lot of work into my craft show wares, and I wish people would appreciate them more.

Oops, I got off on a tangent and didn't stop. I think the point was that even with all my planning, I sometimes have no idea where to start, though I think I'm getting there. Right now, I have 2 shawl/scarf projects that I want to finish (for me) and then I will get cracking on more Christmas gifts.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, your family has no color sense. You must have gotten all of the good color genes because the color choices for that 'ghan are perfect. I'm glad you are keeping it. Secondly, I had to laugh as you admitted to all of the new yarn you have recently purchased as I just got back from the yarn store with 6 different shades of yarn for some amigurumi I am making for my nieces birthday. Lastly, recycled yarn doesn't count. I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay to progress! I love Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet - what a great find. How about making some items for the craft fairs that you could gift if they don't sell? Like some items in colors your giftees might like? If they sell, it's great, and if not, your gift is already made :).

    ReplyDelete

I love knowing that you stopped by!
~ Mary