Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Thieftaker

Thieftaker
by D. B. Jackson

A trip through pre- Revolution Boston, infused with magic, a hint of romance, and a mystery.

This is the world that D. B. Jackson skillfully weaves, creating an intriguing historical fiction novel that I couldn't put down. It's been a while since I've been so absorbed in a book, and I loved the experience. 

The characters, a mix of fiction and non fiction, were decently rounded out, a variety of types and social classes. Each contributed to the story in their own way, some not revealing their part until the very end.

The main character, Ethan Kaille, is a conjurer (aka witch) and a "thieftaker"(hired by wealthier people to recover their stolen goods). Both of his "professions" make it hard for him to keep his head down, especially in a place as volatile as pre- Revolution Boston. I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know much about the city of Boston. But I do know a fair bit about the Revolutionary War, and the events leading up to it. Jackson throws in enough historical information to make the story plausible, but the story isnt really about the history. The history, particularly the riots that could've (and did) take place all around the 13 colonies in regards to the Stamp Act and other "unfair" taxes, feeds into the story but does not consume it.

Jackson writes an interesting novel, and blends the history with the fantasy well.

I'd recommend this as a engaging book (Though I will add that I dislike people who write novels hoping to score big writing a whole series)
(And obviously, I dont really write book reviews, I just like sharing about good books I've read)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love knowing that you stopped by!
~ Mary